Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Keep your eye on the birdie!

This is a picture of the first dusting of snow - note the neighbor's roof is white. Its not the best picture of Henry, but let's keep in mind I was holding Henry and the camera and preventing the two from meeting in the middle!

We had a bit of a bird watching session today. Unfortunately, it began with the untimely meeting of a little birdie with our big window. I went over to see what the noise was when I realized there were a few tiny feathers stuck to the window. Sad. I know. Looking past the tiny little fluffy headstones, I saw there was a group of little birdies in the trees. They were flitting back and forth among the wispy branches. Henry actually saw them, too. Usually, he has no idea what I'm pointing at, and why I'm so excited. Yes, I'm another crazy mother waving my arms at squirrels, rabbits, and other urban wildlife in the hope that Henry will take note of his surroundings. They stayed close to the window (my guess is they were confused about the demise of their leader) so Henry followed their moves as they were contained in a small area of branches. I wish I was more of a birder. I think most likely they were either dark-eyed juncos or black-crowned chickadees. Chickadees are probably the most common, right?

I only mention this because I then took Henry for a walk and didn't realize I was continuing a birding expedition.

We saw:
- a pair of cardinals (Mr. & Mrs.)
- an owl (not even going to guess a species on this one)
- a red headed woodpecker
- a herd of Canada geese (yes, easy to spot, but they are still birds, so I get to count them)

Just more reasons I like Madison...a walk in the park complete with wildlife.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow! What a riveting blog! I can't wait to find out what birds you will see next! Or what soup you will make! Please, never stop blogging about your daily routines! Okay, sorry, I'm just joking. I can't believe Henry's teeth are sooo big! See you soon, I'll look into the wildlife around here...