Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Weekend Away

George and I had a "weekend getaway" over the holiday weekend. We went to Baltimore for a wedding and left Henry with my parents in Iowa. It was our first separation from Henry, so initially there was some anxiety, but I think overall we did very well. There was no crying and carrying on from any party involved!

Actually, it was probably a much needed break in the routine. Henry continued (if not improved) his regular sleeping schedule, enjoyed a lot of ice cream and cookies (what are grandparents for, right?), and gave up many of his habits for nursing. (Since opportunity knocked, we're taking advantage of a non-traumatic weaning process!)

Apparently, Henry enjoyed roaming the 7 acres of my parents country home with two dogs, two aunties, and two grandparents. Instead of "helping" with the garden, he had a front row seat for watching the tractor plant soybeans next door. (How exciting!) Sounds like a little boy's paradise, no?

It took me a little while to adjust to the fact that I was only responsible for MY own personal belongings on the trip. I repeatedly asked George if I put my wallet in the bag. My brain had a hard time not thinking I was missing something, since I'm usually trying to remember sippy cups, snacks, extra diapers, change of clothes, and a few toy cars. You know, the essentials.

On our trip we enjoyed a few quiet meals. Actually, that should read "we enjoyed eating a hot meal of our choice with adult conversation." We were thankful we weren't those folks entertaining youngsters in the airport crowd, and were happy to become involved in the quiet reading of a good book during flight. It was a wonderful weekend to wrap up George's vacation week! Which was, for the most part, a much needed STAYcation, complete with home & garden projects.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Sounds great, Charlotte! Glad to hear that you had a chance for an adult vacation.