July!
July seems like it was over in a blink of an eye. The date on the blog indicates that we've obviously been very busy in our "real" life rather than in our virtual one. Not to worry, we've taken many photos along the way. Here's a recap. Pardon my memory as my evenings are still not quite my own (Grant's bedtime is slowly becoming routine) and by the time I have a moment, I'm multitasking to the max. Tonight's agenda: canning peaches, peach crisp, diaper laundry, and...blogging! Last night: making basil pesto, washing CSA veggies, vomit laundry (Henry had a 24 hour bug), and emailing.
July's activities included, but were not limited to:
1. Rhythm & Booms. This year was technically our first celebration (last year was a rainout postponement debacle) and we enjoyed the fireworks show, minus the LONG wait for traffic to clear to get home. We're a mere 10 minute walk away. It was Henry's third fireworks show and he was the most nervous this year. I think the precursory personal fireworks had him a little uneasy before the show even started. However, he still talks about the parachuters that jumped from the plane, the F-16 flyover, and the "loud, bright flower in the sky, not in the grass". (If we were playing the game Taboo, he'd win for describing a firework, I think). Grant slept through them. What a good baby.
2. Visitors. The Sanford family came for a visit and to begin a rather complicated journey for their two older kids. George was on a week of nights (ever lived with someone who kept the exact opposite schedule as you? then you'd know how much you see them. never) so I decided to take Andrew (4) and Julia (just shy of 7) to my sister's townhouse in Des Moines. That's right. Instant mama of 4 on a 6 hour car trip. My only true dilemma came when I was at the rest stop and wasn't sure how I'd manage to actually use the facilities myself. Leave children unattended in the car? Hold the baby, take all 3 children in the bathroom with me? A combination of the two? I decided I didn't have to go that badly. Fluid restriction. Bladder of steel. Overall, I was impressed with myself. Aside from the last 20 minutes, everyone remained fairly happy in transit. Thank goodness for portable DVD players and a long list of camp songs sung from memory.
3. Vacation. Oh what a lovely vacation. It was actually a vacation. No mowing the lawn, no clinic notes to write, a little cooking (but campfire cooking adds novelty) and as much sleeping in as a two month old and a two year old will allow. George was with me (dual parenting, using the divide and conquer method, is SO much easier than solo). And for a week we sat and drank coffee, enjoyed the beautiful Lake Michigan beach, swam, played in the sand, ate s'mores, and watched children be children. Did you know child rearing is so much easier when they reach the age where they can entertain each other, play together, and babies can sleep on the shoulder of an auntie or grandma? Occasionally a thought flits across my mind like this: what did people do before we had bumbo seats, or bouncers, or johnny-jump-ups? Oh yeah, it was a relative and a rocking chair who kept baby occupied or sleeping so momma could get a breather.
And here's a plug for western Michigan beaches. Fabulous sand. NO bugs, unlike Wisconsin. Fresh water lake, clear water. No sticky saltiness at the end of the day of ocean swimming. Sometimes waves - great for little ones still learning to swim. Don't everyone rush there all at once, I don't want my beach to become crowded with tourists!
1 comment:
Nice to hear about your adventures. BTW I love the photo of the cow tongue coming out to lick someone!! (can't tell if that's your husband or someone else)
Post a Comment