I blinked my eyes and 3 months went by.
Everyday I've stared at my little baby (who, let's face it, isn't so little, but it's a relative thing). Pun intended.
I've spent three months studying the newest member of our family. I'm amazed by how similar, yet different he looks, compared to Henry. (I know. I want to try not to compare Grant to Henry all the time, but it's hard!) His hair is a little darker and there's more of it. His hairline is different (cowlick, courtesy of George), yet he lacks George's prominent eyebrows - which Henry carries and forms into various funny faces, serious frowns, or my favorite, surprise eyebrows. There are so many things I either forgot from the first time around, or was too worried I was "doing everything right" as a first time parent to really notice about a newborn.
For instance, Grant, even from the earliest days at the hospital, would laugh in his sleep. Not just the little cute smiles of content. Full out laughing. Knowing that this skill takes time to develop, it was strange, yet delightful to hear this. And Grant seems intent on winning strongest baby contest and beating Henry on milestones. At 2 months, he rolled over. I wouldn't just say that if it happened on an uneven surface once or twice. It happened three or four times. On the floor. Crazy stuff. Mark my words, we'll have a walker by 9 months. Honest. But I'm not rushing him.
The second child is a baby to enjoy. The pressure is off. We've already proven that we can grow a child past a birthday. The confidence gained makes for a more relaxed parent, and in turn, a more relaxed baby. Now as insight to Grant's personality, know that Henry is a fairly easy-going kid, and he was a good baby. Grant is even more laid back. If that's possible.
Though I don't want to jinx myself. I say these things, yet in the next instant remember that yesterday at the YMCA I was paged overhead to pick up my charming three month old who was screaming at the top of his lungs. He is Mommy's boy. The moment he heard my voice and knew I was holding him, he was quiet. On my way out, I realize that his diaper is soaked, so I try to dart back in to change him before loading him in the carseat. All is going well with Grant. Henry was uncharacteristically good at drop off and pick up, but has suddenly lost patience and wants me to carry him. Given that I have the infant car seat (with Grant inside) and a diaper bag in tow, I try to encourage him to get to the car under his own power. Good feeling from 1 hour away from my boys drains from my body. My shoulder blades once again become earrings, my ears start ringing, and I can feel my cheeks flush as I try to encourage, then coerce, then end up dragging my two year old, who has grabbed onto my leg screaming and crying, past the lobby full of people into the parking lot and car and car seat. A separate workout unto itself. Parent confidence suffers a setback.
So, my point being, attachment parenting going well. Henry is attached. (ha, ha) And Grant is attached. The whole time George holds him in the evening, Grant has an eagle eye on me as I continue to put supper on the table, eat, and then clean up afterwards. The. Whole. Time. He knows what he likes.
I neglected to put up Grant's stats from his 2 month appointment. Better late than never: Here they are from his July 12th appointment:
Weight: 15 lbs 14 oz. for the 95%
Height: 24.5 inches for the 90%
Head circumference 42 cm for the 90%
He is a big strong boy. Ok, last time. Compared to Henry, Grant weighed 1 lbs heavier and was an inch shorter at 2 months. I like to joke that I have "Hank and Tank." But things can change. One of my sisters was quite chunky as a baby, but always very thin after that. So you never know. You just try to keep up.
No comments:
Post a Comment