Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beating Winter Blues

I found the sweetest book at the library a couple of weeks ago. It is just the thing to beat a few winter blues, which usually hit me very hard in February, but maybe arrived a bit early this year (tired of shivering and shoveling, yet?).

It is also a gentle and timely reminder to be present to our day.  Sometimes, the mundane activities of life (laundry, cooking, dishes, and so on) really drag me down. There is very little I do day to day that gives me much satisfaction as my "to do" list is filled with tasks that are never truly finished. Though, every once in a while, I marvel at this stay-at-home child raising life season of mine. On days where we can walk in our city and simply watch everyday activities minus the hurry, I realize how lucky I am.  I learn, right alongside Henry and Grant, how curb-makers work, how a tree is cut down, or how cicadas shed their skins. It's a special time for us together, and I'm trying to remind myself that these days are numbered.

Here are a few excerpts from the book for you to enjoy. The pictures are fabulous as well. I love seeing the little mouse family act out their winter activities under huge, unique snowflakes. It is written from the perspective of one little mouse asking his mother questions, and daydreaming about the imminent season of spring.

Now It Is Winter
Written by Eileen Spinelli

Will spring ever come?
Will there be black raspberries and cream
in my breakfast bowl?
Blackberries I helped pick?
Ever again?

Yes, there will be 
blackberries and spring.
But now it is winter.
Now there is oatmeal
in your breakfast bowl.
With butter and brown sugar.
So delicious.
Taste it!

Will spring ever come?
Will I roll down steep grassy hills
giggling towards the bottom?
Ever again?

Yes, spring will come
and grass and giggles too.
But now it is winter.
Now you can sail downhill
on your sled
lifted on snowy laughter.
What fun!...

Will spring ever come?
Will the night sky grow pink
and the night breeze whisper...

Hush, child. Hush.

Spring will come all pink sky and breezes.
But now...now it is winter.
Now you are cozy in your flannel pajamas.
And warm in your bed.

Now is good--
as in "goodnight" --
and sweet -- 
as in "sweet dreams."

Now is the blessing.
Now is the time to love.
Now is the time 
to be.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I requested it online from the library.