Many people have kindly inquired about how work is going now that I am pregnant. I feel compelled to comment, and will be as upbeat as possible.
First off, I am a person that enjoys a regular routine. I sort of knew this about myself before working a midnight shift, but that fact is certainly confirmed after this experience. I've never been a night owl, party all night, let's stay up and watch the sunrise kind of a person. What I do enjoy are mornings. Having a cup of coffee with breakfast and having the whole day ahead of me to accomplish anything on the to do list. And right now, those don't exist.
Quick side note about coffee: I was a regular two cups a day coffee drinker before becoming pregnant. My plan was to limit that to one-a-day, for caffeine's sake. My body, however, had other plans, the smell, or even the thought of coffee sent my stomach reeling. Therefore, I've quit cold turkey and don't plan on having any until after the baby is born. Bummer, I lost my only pick me up for a little energy at work.
So shift work and flip-flopping sleeping schedules is hard enough on a regular person (especially me) and pregnancy has made this ten times worse. At first, I could tell by the expression on people's faces and comments like "Gee, Charlotte, you don't look so good!"...and the other day I looked in the mirror and thought, I sure don't -- and I look just how I feel, too! Bags under my eyes, pale skin, yikes! Where is that "pregnancy glow" -- are people referring to the throw back to teenager acne days? 'Cause that is what I'm experiencing. :)
Now for the upbeat part, rumor has it I could be on day shift by Christmas. Oh please, Santa! Now and again, however, I remember that day shift is very busy all the time. At least on a good night, I can sit for a spell between hourly vital signs.
I'm posting this and heading to bed, I've got other updates I should work on soon -- regular blogging takes discipline!
No comments:
Post a Comment