Well, I thought I had seen coffee in every incarnation. Instant coffee, drip coffee, percolated coffee, french press, and cowboy coffee. Then we went to see the relatives up in northern Iowa, 30 miles from the Minnesota border. They began by cracking an egg into the bowl of coffee grounds. Huh? Yep, they beat an egg into the coffee grounds before adding it to the boiling water. Looks almost like they're making a batter or something - except it's coffee. The caffeine aficionado in me scoffed at the idea of 'egg coffee', but I will say that the finished product was quite good - nice and smooth. I've attached a link to the recipe for those daring souls out there. This Minnesota website refers to egg coffee as both 'Norwegian' and 'Lutheran' in style. Well, I was with German Catholics in Northern Iowa, so it's probably more of a regional thing - explaining why the Bostonian thought it was was a plain old weird thing to do!
http://www.hendricksmn.com/norwegian-egg-coffee.html
No comments:
Post a Comment