Sunday, July 06, 2008

The first week

So, the first week of being an intern on the wards has been interesting. I am on a peds rotation. Our patient census has been low which makes things easier in terms of learning the ins and outs of a new place. The hospital has gone 90% 'live' on the computers and Monday starts physician order entry, a fancy way of saying we residents get to enter the orders into the computer instead of writing it down and then having the unit clerk enter it into the computer. Everyone's balking at it, so it should be an interesting transition...

Henry is changing so much - he is so interested in all of his surroundings! This means he is reaching to grab for things before I'm even aware. I pulled out my wallet and he reached for it. 4 months old and already trying to take my money. Geesh.

Also, we've been generally silly with him - singing goofy songs and such. One of my favorites is this one from an old Tom and Jerry cartoon. It's a bit loud, and apparently when I sing it too loud he doesn't like it so much. Guess I'd better sing quietly...

Being super busy this week has really made me miss Charlotte and him. I was in the hospital Friday night watching fireworks from the 8th floor call room :( She and Henry managed to catch some of the festivities up close though. I'm sure she'll write about it.

We had a nice day yesterday at church and then rode around town a bit looking at neighborhoods. Today also did a bit of neighborhood searching. Two houses for sale next door to each other? Funny you say? The folks across the street blasting their Metallica (For the record there is nothing wrong with the song 'Sanitarium' but blasting it across the street from my house when I'm trying to sleep would not be cool). Also the revving of the motorcycles and general trashiness of the place got our attention. I'm sure you can imagine the sight - those are the things online photos just don't capture about the neighbors!

So, back to the hospital tomorrow to see the kiddos...wish me luck!

1 comment:

Waneda Brownlow said...

Hi. You don't know me. I don't know you. I accidentally clicked on your blog. Found the video of someone frightening Harry. Found the clip of Froggy Went a Courtin. Love it. Copied it to send to my son in Iraq. Sang it when I was in grammar school, millions of years ago. Acted in a play, was the Brown Muley Cow of one of the verses. Thanks for the laugh. You have a great blog. Wanna be friends? I'm a harmless widow, missionary, teacher. Check out my blog . . . www.tracingthespiralsofmythoughts.blogspot.com
When I named it, I didn't realize I would have to type the whole thing out forty gajillion times. LOL. Bye now. Thanks again for the Froggy clip.