Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Only 6 weeks until Christmas

Typically, I try to hold off on all things Christmas until after Thanksgiving. This year, however, I've been ramping up earlier because I can see 1. how much fun it's going to be with Henry's increased ability to understand and 2. how much work we have to do on this understanding. And besides, the Madison radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 has already started. I just love Christmas music, so now I'm in the mood!

Sometimes as a parent, it really hits me how much of a "teacher" role you have to play. I mean everything from typical Christmas characters like Santa and reindeer to simple ideas about winter (such as snow and snowmen! or sledding!) has to be explained. Let's face it, last year he got to hold a piece of snow once. In March, I think. It didn't make that much of an impression (as far as I know...). Given the fact that he couldn't even walk, he was still too young to be out playing in snow, or recall the snow plows working on our street. Last but not least, there is the most important Christmas story to teach, the birth of Jesus. I think I've already confused Henry in this department because he heard me singing along to the song "Santa Baby" on the radio. I heard him in the store later commenting about baby Santa when we saw some Christmas tree displays.


Those who live in harsher climates understand my next effort. To avoid hanging lights outdoors in the freezing cold, I got a couple of strands for our bushes to hang now, and plug in later. We tested them indoors to be sure they worked. Henry, of course, went crazy. In hindsight, using only a "oh no, what have I done?" mentality, this may have been jumping the gun a little. Now he gets up every morning asking for the lights. Then we have to convince him they're on the bushes, and can be seen at nighttime (but not from our windows...hmmm). Oops! I hope our neighbors put some up soon, so we can see Christmas lights without going out in the dark and cold.  On the plus side, it did help him in his effort to learn his colors. 


Also note the jammies. It's early, but we only have a few pair of fleecy ones to choose from. Might as well use them as long as we can!


I am thankful that:
- during my last shopping trip to Shopko everything I purchased was on sale. $5 winter mittens for Henry that I couldn't find at JC Penneys - check!
- George got the snowblower all set for our first snowfall. A note to Mother Nature: just because we're ready, doesn't mean there has to be any action on your part.
- Henry is a well behaved boy at restaurants. The interview season for residency applicants has begun. This year we can take advantage of the "night before" applicant dinners and enjoy a few meals out on the town!

No comments: