Thursday, March 11, 2010

Everyday Life

Since I last wrote, February cruised on outta here, and March certainly came marching in. It has been a new month and a new world for us.

Let me count the ways:
  • With temps above freezing, we've been outside more often. The snow is giving way to expose the treasures (or trash!) hidden underneath. We spotted some grass next to our driveway the other day (Henry stood on it proudly), the glacier that plagues the end of our driveway transformed into a small pond (Henry stomped in it ferociously), and I believe the saying goes, "April showers..." but March is providing some much needed rain for melting, cleansing, and reviving (Henry's rain boots fit appropriately this year and we're getting good use out of them).
  • Nap time woes. Henry has not been a reliable napper lately. I'm in mourning. I really thought that life would coast with afternoon quiet time for several more months. This loss of "free time" and the idea that life with a new baby may not contain any solitary moments with the new little one while Henry sleeps has me reaching for a new mindset about planning our days. As well as the challenge of implementing a different kind of quiet time for Henry.
  • Potty training. People say boys take longer. People say "wait until they're ready," as if they'll ever be. I'm determined to give it a go, anyway. "People" have no idea that I do things my way. Seriously, though, I found a fabulous book that inspired me. The author emphasizes that research shows starting early will end diapers early, that potty training will not psychologically damage a resistant toddler (whew!), and that cloth training pants are the way to go (well, I knew that last one already, anyway). So I'm giving it an honest try before the weather is so nice that we're out the door and no where near a potty all day long. If anything, we're at least building some new habits to encourage the process (like getting to the potty immediately after getting up in the morning, or nap-time). Day 1 proved I had my work cut out for me. Henry is highly conditioned to pee when he has a nice dry cloth diaper or training pants on. Day 2 we had success, twice. A celebration followed, it seemed the light-bulb went on for Henry. Day 3 another catch. Day 4 (today), a little more of a challenge, but Momma is learning some lessons along the way, too. Like the fact that Henry will always claim he is dry, even when wet. Or, if he even mentions the potty word (or pee or poo), it's on his mind, I should NOT ask for confirmation, we should just go directly to the potty, pass "GO" and collect our $200.
  • As mentioned, George has been on call this month, but we managed to get a "date swap" weekend in with friends of ours and catch the cliche "dinner and a movie." Oh bliss. Since George rarely wants to go to any flicks, I jumped on the chance to find a showing of his request, Crazy Heart. Perfect timing, too, with the Oscar Awards being distributed that evening, and Jeff Bridges taking one home for his performance. We enjoyed the movie, and a meal at the Great Dane - a Madison hot spot. Some of you may remember that we started a mainly vegetarian diet several years ago. Well, my hamburger was mighty tasty. It's been a while. My pregnancy induced anemia thanks you, Mr. Cow!
Everyday life is just that, right now. I'm dreaming of getting out in the yard, waiting for all those bulbs I planted last fall to show their true colors. My nights are becoming shorter and more restless as the belly continues to grow, and the hip / back pain wakes me up (along with the ritual 3am bathroom run). And time is flying by as we hurtle toward the May due date. I'm 32 weeks! More pictures and stories to come. For now, the precious minutes of a rare nap need to be used doing a few things around the house. TTFN!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you remember a time when you had nothing on your agenda? How did we become so 'blessedly' busy. I am not saying either is bad -- but WOW! I can understand Gparents claiming they want grandkids first -- you definitely had more time to appreciate them. Erin will be EIGHT next month! I have an 11 year old? How did that happen :)