Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dear Santa

oh, am I too late for that?
Well, here's my list, anyway. It's nothing that could have been wrapped and placed beneath the tree, so perhaps there's still time.

I want:
1. a full night's sleep
2. time for myself
3. time with my husband
4. a pony

Actually, I've done a lot of thinking about this list. They actually make good "New Year's Resolutions", though unlike the lofty this year I'm really going to lose weight goals, these are less what "might be nice" and more in the "it's necessary" category.

1. a full night's sleep: actually even 4 hours strung together will suffice. I've currently let go of all the habit changing, effort, and agonizing over why my little lab rat won't sleep if I try this or that. He's with me in bed, or in his own space when he's fidgety. And when I don't get much rest, I will not feel guilty for attempting a nap on the couch while Henry watches a movie.

2. time for myself: this is hard with a non-napper, a young nursling, and a busy husband. There are a couple of approaches. First, I can get back to the Y at some point. It's seriously two birds and one stone. Alone time while I work out.  Though I sometimes contemplate napping in the locker room, I easily forget that exercise can also give me a burst of energy to tackle the end of my day. Secondly, I can hire a babysitter. Which leads me to the next item.

3. time as a couple: [translation]: get a babysitter. Evenings spent sitting next to each other on the couch, each staring at separate laptops does not count as "together time".

4. a pony: Just kidding. Do I sound like I need another living thing to care for right about now?  But it's a matter of perspective. Ever heard the story of the little optimistic girl who greeted her pile of manure under the Christmas tree with the "where's my pony?" question?  I want to look for the pony. So, I'll try. In the daily muck, I'll try. I had pony.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Hugs!

The girls each got a pony from Wells Fargo when I opened Noelle's savings account. Shall I send you one?