Tuesday, February 01, 2011

New sign: lime yogurt

In spite of the battles we have been having, Henry and Grant have taken a keen interest in each other. I know it's natural for siblings to have their own relationship which is separate from the parents, but it's funny to see these details even at such a young age.

Just like we did with Henry, we are using some baby signs with Grant. The basics like 'more', 'all done', 'please', 'sorry' and the like. For Henry, we've branched into a few from an American Sign Language book - 'firefighter', 'police officer' and 'computer'. We've also picked up the habit of putting words in Grant's mouth, by describing to Henry that "Grant doesn't like it when you sit on his head, he's trying to tell you to move." However, I never would have thought 'lime yogurt' would have come up in conversation, let alone develop into a new sign in our little ones' vocabulary...

Our refrigerator has its usual supply of strawberry and blueberry yogurt, so I thought I'd add some variety during a recent shopping trip. I picked up a few oddball flavors, including lime. Having a snack that afternoon, I decided to have the lime yogurt while Grant had peach. Eventually Grant insisted on tasting mine. Henry asked Grant to give us a sign, just to be sure. Basically the next gesture he made became the sign for lime yogurt. (Apparently, you just touch your wrist with the opposite fingers.)
This shot demonstrates how "helpful" Henry can be. Charlotte found him spoon feeding Grant after making a quick trip downstairs to throw in a load of laundry.

No comments: