Friday, April 01, 2011

April Fools Snow

It's snowing. No fooling.
Some thoughts on a snowy spring day:

1. I think this is going to be a big summer of storing food.  We are quite low on those things that really taste like summer in the middle of winter. As in, there is nothing I've found that comes close to competing with homegrown or homecanned tomatoes, peaches, applesauce, and frozen strawberries (and in turn, strawberry jam batches mid-winter).  We are nearly Old Mother Hubbard.

2. Birthday fun. Its best left to the young. And young at heart (I'm trying to adjust my perspective after a close inspection reveals the number of gray hairs seems to be multiplying like rabbits). Henry and I just returned from a birthday party for his little preschool buddy. We played with playdough, ate popcorn balls, and hid out on bunkbeds (well, that last request was just for Henry to join his friend on his older brother's top bunk. It was definitely a "while the cat's away the mice will play" moment).  My birthday was all about food. Favorites all day (blue cheese walnut burgers with a Sprecher Amber beer, then beet salad for supper, followed by some mighty tasty cheesecake -- even more delightful because I didn't have to make any of it!)

3. Playing outside. More walks. More bike rides. More sandbox time. More playground time. After, of course, the snow melts. Again.
Grant is slow to warm up to swings this spring. Henry is showing him how it works.


"Oh, look what Henry left unattended. I'll just take this out for a spin before he gets back"

The dirty pants: evidence that Grant is one rough and tumble kid.


1 comment:

Jenn said...

And he will make sure that you will have to buy new boy clothes for the next (possible) Leydon "boy".