Monday, July 11, 2011

I will Tri

A month or so ago, I committed to a triathlon.  Swim. Bike. Run.
My friend convinced me to take on this challenge.
And I'm so thankful.
I think.
This is our "pre triathlon photo"

But seriously, at the beginning of the summer I realized that my baby was 1 and the baby fat from two pregnancies was not melting off the way that I thought it should (or was told it would).

Additionally, I had one week where I was especially caught off guard by my advancing years.  Firstly, I attended an aerobics class at the YMCA that I mistook for a Silver Sneakers (seriously, I felt like we'd all enjoy a nice round of bingo after the workout), and it was hard, so I thought that certainly I needed to up the ante. Later that day I went shopping for a new bra. I ended up with one marked as an "age defying" bra (from what I gather, this is really a push up bra for women who have most likely nursed babies). So my point is that when I think about the years I may have been at my fittest level, they are behind me. Becoming quite distant, actually. I've actually contemplated attempting a triathlon before, and certainly now is the time. I can't imagine it being any easier as I approach my 40s. (Which, by the way, is now the recommendation for a mammogram, another milestone I can't believe is just around the corner for me!)

I have a few books. I have a friend with experience. I have a training calendar. And I have a race date.
So I will try a triathlon.
1/4 mile swim. 16 mile bike ride. 3 mile run.
And so far, I'm having my fittest summer of the last 10 years.
It feels good.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Good for you!!! I can't wait to see how it goes.