2011. What a year.
2011 was a year of doing.
Here in the trenches of parenting small children, we don't often have a lot of time to reflect, aspire, or take stock of "Who We Are" and "Where We're Going." During these days when a lost mitten can make or break your day (seriously, it doesn't sound like much, but it can be to a 3 year old, or Momma, for that matter). More than likely, we reinvent ourselves on the fly. A plan of going to the gym is quickly changed to a walk around the block with the dog after a kid has begun vomiting overnight.
So, this was how our 2011 review took place.
In the kitchen, both of us are trying to occupy kids, get a meal on the table, scrape a few toys from underfoot, unload a clean dishwasher, and offer the dog a pat on the head. "What a year, huh?" I quip after a quick glance at George. Amid the chaos we count a few major blessings.
1. George is a board certified family physician. It has been an arduous process and we've had some time to catch our breath and envision just what, exactly, life should look like now that George has his "real job" (OB practice and all).
2. I have a job. Last year I believe I wrote about needing some "me time" and the job is just enough to exercise other parts of my brain for a few hours each week. It says something about your home life when I often feel like going to work for a few hours feels more like vacation! Mostly, I'm thankful my job only takes place at work. I don't ever have to do much outside of the time I spend at clinic. It's really the perfect set up. Having some set hours each week and then per diem opportunities in addition gives me the flexibility to take more hours, or leave them.
3. We have a babysitter. Or two. In the rotation. We've had good ones come and go, but in general, this is how I've been able to work, and we've been able to have date night. Our modest goal of one date night per month has been a welcomed chance to reconnect, take a breath, and feel normal. Like the quote from As Good As It Gets, "we're going out, like people do."
3a. Babysitters also allowed me to complete that triathlon last summer.
4. The dog. A dog has always been part of the big picture of "what life looks like in the Leydon residence" and taking the plunge has had some challenges and some perks. The challenge is that Newton is a Jekyll and Hyde kind of dog. He takes all sorts of loving abuse from the kids and doesn't move a muscle. He's a fairly mellow and sweet dog who's sole purpose in life seems to be to score a nice long pat on the head. Once he's got the leash on and is out for his walk, however, he is the biggest knucklehead. Tantrums and antics and flailing and barking on the end of a leash. Horrible, horrible, horrible doggy manners. Thankfully, we are in obedience classes and we've been working with him. BUT, the important thing is that he has really given us a push to stay active through the winter. He is a dog that has to be walked (or suffer the consequences of restless antics in the house--he is so food motivated he has been known, on occasion, to help himself to bread on the counter and leftovers sitting on the table. Impeccably timed with a kid's trip to the bathroom, of course). So we're walking. In the cold. Midwinter. (and when I say "we" its more George than me. For now.)
Goals for 2012 are taking shape.
What I appreciated about 2011 was that none of the above listed points were really ever the typical New Years resolution.
May 2012 find all of you with jobs, shared childcare (aka "me time"), and/or dogs!
No comments:
Post a Comment