Our 20 week doctor's visit was today. I am roughly at my pre-pregnancy weight, which is +5 lbs from the last visit 5 weeks ago (gaining 1 lb a week, which is my goal). Baby's heart rate today was 130, and with movement, 140. Baby had to be chased just a little bit to get these measurements. I have a feeling it didn't want to be disturbed from a nap, given I had just worked 3 night shifts in a row and an afternoon appointment time would fall smack in the middle of catching some good zzz's if I were at home.
Funny thing, and the reason for the title of this post, is that I told my doctor we went to our ultrasound on Monday. So, after pulling up the report and reading the results for different organ systems, he said, "huh, it says here 'poor visualization' of the genitalia." We informed him we didn't want to know if baby was a boy or a girl. I get the feeling its like planning a huge surprise party, and can only imagine if they listed the sex on the report that the doctor would have blurted out something like "so, your baby (girl/boy) looks healthy" -- ha ha ha.
It seems we are in the minority for choosing NOT to know the sex of the baby before birth, and extra effort is required on the part of the doctors, nurses, and ultrasound techs to help us plan our surprise party. So far, so good. The secret is safe!
1 comment:
Yay for surprises! I was also surprised at how few people wait for the birth to find out...as evidenced by the lack of gender neutral newborn clothes. I think that our u/s tech didn't even send the "gender shots" to our OB since we had told her we were waiting for the surprise. I'm guessing that "slip ups" must be pretty common with that.
Post a Comment