Monday, May 12, 2008

Baptism Prep Class

In preparation for this big event in Henry's life, George and I completed the baptism class with the religious education director from the church down the street. Thank goodness the church has become understanding of special circumstances like long distance family situations and moving from state to state!

The classes at this church are "by appointment" only, so it was very personalized. Like our own "Engaged Encounter" weekend, we were surprised by how enjoyable the experience was, even for a mandatory Catholic class. Maybe we're just a little nerdy, but I think we both had fun tossing around ideas and understanding of theology. In fact, our Catholic education was tested a little bit, sort of like a Catholic quiz show. George certainly won big points for the day for coming up with "firmament" as an explanation of "why is there rain?" when discussing appearances of water in scripture (think Genesis and beginning of time). I lost a few points with an answer of Yahweh instead of Ruah for a word origin about the spirit and breath. Oh well, the point was really more about an increased understanding of what we were celebrating with Henry rather than a competition.

We discussed the more "old school" train of thought about baptism -- scouring out the black spot on the soul from original sin or preventing the fate of an eternity in limbo as a sort of "spiritual life insurance policy."

Rather, we discussed how exciting it was to be using wind and water as a symbol for new life. Wind representing the Spirit to bless the water, water to enter into new life with the church. Recently, we've noticed that our friends' babies are enjoying an all out dip in the water, instead of the typical sprinkle on the head. We learned that the meaning behind the word "baptism" is more like immersion or "to plunge." However, given the limitations of the font, Henry will be given the old Catholic quota of a rinsed head, just like his parents. :)

At the very end I have to say I was moved to think about Henry in this way: the last part of the sacrament involves some anointing with oil (chrism) and the phrase "anointed as Christ was, priest, prophet, and king." (keep in mind I'm paraphrasing) As the religious education director began to explain that a priest was someone who would bring people closer to God, a prophet was someone who spoke the word of God, and a king was royalty - someone who did the ruling and was not ruled (as in, we are to live in this world, but not be of this world) I looked at my little baby, asleep in the swing, and realized that is truly what I imagine for him. Its a huge undertaking. No one did it better than Jesus, but that is our commissioning. Just as our parents commissioned us.

1 comment:

McDermottFam said...

Deep one! I loved it :). Can't wait for the big move!