Thursday, February 04, 2010

Chicken Soup

I bought a little piece of sunshine for $4. I've been staring at these flowers everyday for nearly two weeks (through watery eyes with a stuffy nose and congested head). It's been lovely to see some color amidst the winter blahs. The timing couldn't have been better.

These past two weeks have been a blur of days spent keeping tissues close, hot cups of tea going to sooth sore throats, naps, Vicks Vapo Rub, and steamy showers. (Aside from Tylenol, there's not much else a pregnant momma can do for herself or a toddler, medicine-wise...)

My hat goes off to mommas and papas everywhere who care for sick children. And when they also get sick? It's like instant sainthood. How do you do it?!?

I think we can finally speak from the "other side" of this ordeal (though lingering symptoms are still ailing us). And my own mom deserves a BIG thank you. Last weekend, she drove up to help us get the house in order (is there anything worse than knowing the moment you have any energy there is a pile of laundry, or dishes, and a vacuum waiting for you?) She also took Henry to the Y for a swim. He needed to get out and burn off some energy, and be properly looked after for a few hours.

She also made chicken soup. Like liquid medicine. Henry ate it up. (Of course, his prior meal was half a bagel with cream cheese and a bag of Sunchips. Yikes! Did I mention I've been quite sick, and had not been cooking?!) Which is a vicious cycle. If there's not yummy, nutritious food to eat, how is your body supposed to get better? Seems like there's not an easy answer to this one.

But we've survived. And we're slowly exiting quarantine and approaching our daily routine again. I think.

I am looking forward, however, to days when the flowers won't be $4. They'll be cut from my garden...

No comments: