Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Battles

We walk the daily tightrope between war and peace.
Apparently, I can really ruin his day by cutting his toast, closing a cabinet door, or even standing in the wrong place. The reactions to these infractions are LOUD (poor Grant, he's been exposed to so many more decibels than Henry was at the same age) and escalate very quickly. So I'm choosing my battles. Carefully.

The boy wants to feel like he has choices, like his opinion matters, like he is a big boy (almost 3!?!) He is a big boy. And then again, he's not. It's the struggle to become independent. I can see the writing on the wall, and I think age 3 will be more of a challenge for me than 2 ever was...can I skip ahead to 4?

Current favorites:
car = racecars, and anything that drives fast.
number = 8. it's the only number to set an electric blanket (which, by the way, is hot as blazes!)
outside activity = playing in the snow with his dumptruck
inside activity = playing in the snow with his trucks/cars (yes, bringing snow inside in a bucket can keep him occupied for an hour)
second favorite inside activity = wrestling (I'm not sure how this started, but seems innate among boys)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anna said...

This is a perfect photo for this post.

Jennifer Shike said...

I love this post. Boy, do I hear what you are saying! Your kids are just adorable!